Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A Super Deluxe night

After a hard slog of a day yesterday, where in addition to my job I completed the first part of a proof reading job I'm doing for Miyu, I headed down to the very funky environs of Super Deluxe, in Nishi Azabu. Accompanying me were Mr Tame, Mr Broomes and Mr Aroop + g/friend. When I arrived, the place was packed with people taking a breather after the first musicl act, who apparantly were a bit into shock tactics. Next up was an experimental Jazz quartet, who utilized a lot of strange musical instruments to create some noize...I didn't really get what they were trying to do, and as the show went on, the crowd seemed to ignore them more and more, if the volume of conversation was anything to go by. It was quite funny watching their piano player. Her posture and pained expression said " I don't want to be here. I'm so f***ing tired I want to sleep." Which she did!
The last band up were fantastic. Such a difference to the previous one. Again, it was jazz, but there was so much energy in their performance. The double bass player, a big dude with glasses and long hair, was really giving it his all, and the crowd were whooping it up. Simultaneously, there was a live drawing going on behind us, involving four young artists who used black paint on white canvass to produce their music interpretation. All very inspiring and left me feeling energised and promising myslef to come and visit this superb place more often in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home