Thursday, February 08, 2007

The man with the Gallic voice

I was in a local eatery today with Miyu, enjoying a large bowl of udon noodles and a large katsudon (deep fat fried port fillet on a bed of rice). I was so absorbed in eating, as I was very hungry, that I'd failed to notice the French man enter the restaurant and take up a seat behind us. I'd ascertained he was French because he was speaking to his colleague, telling him this was a cheap, but good quality Japanese restaurant that he really liked.
From listening to his voice, I got the strong impression that this was a tall, slightly over-weight and attractive man. He had a charismatic voice, which was a real joy to listen to. He chatted away whilst they ate, turning from the subject of food to office gossip.
So imagine my surprise when they were leaving and I could finally set sight of this man. He looked very Japanese! Short, balding and sweaty faced with a big beer belly and stumpy little legs. I did a quick scan of the restaurant to make sure he really was the source of that rich textured voice, and sure enough, it was. I couldn't believe how different he looked compared to the mental image of him I'd built in my mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home