Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Shadow cat

I caught sight of it out of the periphery of my vision, just as the sun was setting on Tokyo. It was about 20 metres in front of me, going uphill at a fast pace. As I watched it, it merged with the shadow of an on-coming pedestrian, up and into a wall and then when the man had passed, it re-emerged, it's fur glistening slickly as if it had just dipped itself in some premium oil. I quickened my pace, as I'd been told repeatedly by my wife that if you touched a shadow cat, you'll be guaranteed riches beyond your wildest dreams.
I think it must have realized that I'd spotted it, as it suddenly quickened it's pace. Luckily, I'd been doing a lot of sprint training recently, as our company sports day was due next month, and I wanted to win a medal. Even though I was in my suit and work shoes, I was able to gain on the elusive shadow cat, and I began to feel confident that I'd soon be stroking it and then looking forward to the cash piling up.
A big truck turned into the road I was running on up ahead, and the cat jumped into it's huge shadow. I followed, and thankfully, this being a narrow Tokyo back-street, I could keep up with the vehicle. The truck stopped. It was some sort of removal company van, and I skidded to a halt beside it, keeping my eyes fixed on the shadow lest the cat slipped out unnoticed.
I was breathing deeply through exertion and excitement at my future prospects. I could give up my stupid job and we could go and live on some paradise island.
Then came the screeching and the headlights, coming from my right, very, very fast. The next thing I knew, I was flying through the air, faintly aware that my legs felt soft and squelchy and my head was beginning to pound. Slowly, I came back to earth, landing quietly in my mind, and for a moment all was still. Then time caught up, and everything was too loud and far too painful. I blacked out.
When I came to and opened my eyes, I could see my wife and parents sat next to me. I was lying on a sheer white hospital bed, and there were a lot of tubes stuck in me. A machine beside me was beeping rhythmically, and it took me a few seconds to realize the noise was my heart transposed into electric signal. I was floating in cotton wool and I felt extremely stoned.
All of a sudden, from a shadow cast on the opposite wall made by my wife, the shadow cat emerged. It jumped out and landed on my chest. It dipped it's head down to my face and did a sideways stroke across my face, tickling my nostrils. I sneezed, loudly and the cat jumped straight back into my wife's shadow. I a dopey smile and closed my eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home