Monday, September 18, 2006

A busy week, and then to IKEA!

Well, I must say this past week has been absolutely exhausting! On top of the house move, which went remarkably smoothly, I had a very busy work week, often having to work 12 hour days due to my new job getting busy. It involves a fair bit of travelling around on the Tokyo subway, which isn't too bad as I feel like I'm filling in my inner map of Tokyo further.
I had a lovely day last Wednesday being a tour guide to Ms. Judith Rue, friend of the Professor I work with at the badger college (Dr. Kaneko). I thought she'd want to do the tourist thing and go to the fish market (Tsukiji), visit a temple (Asakusa) and check out electronic town (Akihabara). However, instead she really wanted a tour of Kabuki cho, which is the "shady" part of Tokyo where all the host boys work and where there's a very large percentage of yakuza. It was daylight, so we ventured into the thick fog of alcohol, which fuels the too skinny, anorexic hosts - kings the night before but now a poor shadow of their boisterous egos, staggering home with ashen faces and crumpled designer suits.
Judith loved it. Having worked in the RAF in her youth, and now an expert
nurse for mothers who are about to burst, she was on her way to New Zealand (at 62), in order to broaden her experience and have an adventure. That is to say, she was no wimp!
As we wandered the streets, from Shinjuku to Harajuku, and eventually to Omotesando for a long lunch, we shared experiences and hopes for the future. All in all, a perfect day.
Later on in the week, after clocking off, as it were, and rubbing my hands together at the prospect of a long weekend, courtesy of "Respect the Aged Day", we welcomed over Joseph for some afternoon tea and biscuits. Poor boy was missing his little "twinkle", so we arranged it for him to come and stay at our place on Sunday night, and we also arranged for Natsuko to give herself to him, and do whatever he wanted her to do, until he was fully sated. Well, Miyu and I were quite amazed at how much Joseph had missed "twinkle", as he ravaged poor Natsuko and kept us, and the neighbours, up all night with his howling. I have photographic evidence of this coital panting, which is posted either above or below this text. Enjoy...
Although we were droopy eyed from lack of sleep, the following morning we all three (not Natsuko, she stayed behind, unable to walk), headed to a newly opened IKEA in Yokohama. Miyu and I needed a few things for the flat, and Joseph had arranged to meet Russ and Emmie, friends from Shimoda, there at about 11am.
Little did we know the hunger of the Japanese for Swedish design and rather tasty meatballs. The queue to get in was horrendous, and I reckon there must have been at least 30,000 people there, all buying, buying, buying in a post recession exhalation of undisguised glee. We joined in, over stimulated by the blues and yellows and the oh so nice designs at very reasonable prices. My little finger got so excited that it actually burst like a too fat sausage, and I had to be rushed to the 1st Aid office, where a girl of about 16 wrapped half a box of plasters around my throbbing finger, giggled and apologised before sending me back into the fray.
God, the rush of spending money one doesn't have really gets you going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home