Monday, April 24, 2006

Sizzling meat, fire diving and blackout

Back in Tokyo again after a much drunken tomfoolery in Yamanakako. Miyu and I decided to drive up there, so rented a very nifty Toyota, and it took only 90 minutes to reach our destination. We were the last to arrive (the others all came up the previous night), so we had some catching up to do. The bbq was sizzling away, with some extremely yummy local beef and perfect baked potatoes. We added some sausages and topped up the wine cellar.
Isamu, Jon and Satchiko's son, has grown so much since we last saw him, and he has these saucer like eyes that never seem to blink, taking in everything that's going on around him. Miyu was captivated and stayed playing with him all night - feeling broody, me thinks!
I drank a lot. So much in fact that towards the end of the night, I lay down on a sofa and passed out. Apparantly, Jon had to carry me to my bed, and almost dropped me, but I have absolutely NO RECOLLECTION of this. Now, this may seem a small detail, but to me it's HUGE. It's the first time that I've had a blackout due to alcohol. In the past, however drunk I've got,I could remember everything that happened. So, what's changed? Is it age? Or was it the Carlo Rossi (the cheap plonk which we were drinking toward the end of the evening)? Maybe I've reached a point where I've finally gone and obliterated enough brain cells from embibing alcohol, so that it's eaten into those cells that regulate my short term memory.
Whatever the reason, it's a tad worrying.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joseph Tame said...

…surely not getting old!

If it’s any consolation, I’ve passed out due to over-consumption of alcohol many times - since the age of 16!

I’d put it down to that cheap plonk if I were you.

yeah, it must be that…

5:38 pm  
Blogger TOK said...

I think your theory has merit, as I was out at a dinner party a couple of nights ago, imbibed copiuos amounts of very fine wine, and was absolutely lucid for the whole night!

11:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home