Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The lady on the train

I looked up momentarily, noticing the sparkle glinting off of her high heeled shoes. She was dressed in lots of lace and frills. I think they call it the Gothic Lolita look, or something like that. Anyway, it seems quite popular over here - escapist dress-up for the weekend.
She looked to be in her late 20s, although with that much make-up on her face it was difficult to tell. Those heels must have been giving her jib, because she soon slid them off once she was seated opposite me on the train. She began fanning herself frantically. August in Tokyo is not pleasant, and flitting between air conditioned "spaces" becomes a game we all have to play, if we are to survive.
I went back to my book, which was pretty absorbing, and I didn't notice her disembarking, although I did catch a passing glint of something shiny. To my surprise, when I did look over at her vacated seat, her sparkling shoes remained. Did they slip her mind?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home