Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Junk food nation

I was on my way back to Hatsudai train station yesterday, after another fascinating discussion with Endoh regarding his design philosophy. It was lunch time, so there were dozens of people on their way to various eating establishments - ramen, tonkatsu, soba, curry - and I noticed that the eatery which was busiest was...Macdonalds! It was especially popular with High School boys, who I saw congregated in a near by park, munching away on their Big Macs and fries and washing it all down with pop.
Now this is really worrying. Of all the food they could eat, they choose this junk, which I've not touched for about 3 years now. When I was a child, going to a Mac was a real treat - all those bright colours and endless advertising reels in the unformed mind, and tries to addict you to their poison. I mean, it really is crap! Check out Super Size Me, the documentary about a man who ate nothing but Macs for one month, and almost died!
It's just plain bad for you, and all these kid are wolfing it down. One of the reasons is because Japan has the world's cheapest Macs, so it's easy to buy a "meal" with your lunch money. So much of their "appeal" is aimed at kids, and it just seems evil that they do this (you can tell I'm annoyed, can't you?!)
It just gets to me that somewhere like Japan, which has one of the healthiest diets in the world, should allow junk like this being sold. Very sad.
OK, rant over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home