Friday, July 07, 2006

What a week

It's been a mixed week of big events, some good and some sad. Last weekend found me in a salsa club for the first time in my life, wiggling my hips to some Latin American tunes whilst at the same time cheering England on up on the big screen. Great fun BTW, Salsa dancing. A really friendly bunch of people dancing the night away in good cheer.
The following day I received the devastating news that JJ, traveller and friend, had passed away (see my previous entry). Next day I began helping my architect student, Masaki Endoh, edit one of his old books which will be re-published soon. This guy is amazingly talented, and I'm learning so much from him about design, architecture and our place in relation to those things. He's just been asked to exhibit in Paris and be part of the 2nd Beijing Architecture Biennial. This guy is going to be huge in the future. Then on Wednesday I had my work review at the badger college. My prof is very happy with the work I've been doing, and even said she'd recommend me for a professorship at the college (teaching English) if I wanted it to happen. I'll have to think about that one. I met a good friend on Thursday and was able to get some things out in the open that have been niggling away at me for some time. And finally today, I went and met a guy who works for a big Japanese medical company, who's giving a ground breaking presentation on his research to a big conference in Montreal later this month. He's Japanese, and has to do his presentation in English. I checked his O/P, corrected any Englsih mistakes, made suggestions on improving some phrases and then coached him through his presentation. He was really happy with my work, so has invited me back next Tuesday to help him further. And lastly, but by no means least, Miyu and I celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary today!! Unfortunately she's not here, as she has to attend a wedding fair in Fukushima over the next few days, to show off her new line in wedding accessories. So, we'll be celebrating proper next week.
Of course, it's also the anniversary of the London bombings, which brings me right back down to Earth.
Peace be with us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home