Friday, September 29, 2006

Sleepers everywhere, everywhere I stare

When I squeezed onto the rush hour train this morning, bound for Tokyo station, carrying me to the glass towered HQ of a large American Bank, there were at least 10 people I could spot who were sleeping standing up. The sheer number of people packed into the carriage ensured they wouldn't fall to the ground, just as long as they woke up when we stopped at a station, letting off a tide, and welcoming on another to compensate. As for the people lucky enough to find a seat, ALL were fast asleep, with one in particular, a middle aged man with soft baby skin cheeks, his mouth gaping and seeming to purr like an overstuffed cat.
Mid-afternoon, I had a couple of hours to kill, and I went to a cafe called Excelsior, a popular chain which sports the same colour as Starbucks - an intentional play by the owners to attract the smokers who were barred from Starbucks but who wanted a similar ambience (plus a fug of smoke, of course). Salrymen lay sprawled around the seating area, some with their heads flung back in utter dead sleep abandon, and others gently nodding away, coming awake, and then nodding away again. I sat down, and promptly fell into a deep sleep, even after drinking a strong mug of black, tasty coffee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home