Sunday, April 16, 2006

Air heads

Hello there,

It's been a while. As you can see from the picture, a group of us ventured out to AIR, my favorite Tokyo club, last week. The night was called "Elephant", which I liked, and the crowd were very friendly. My friend G, who's relatively new to the Tokyo clubbing scene, has asked me to show him the places to go, so I'm trying to arrange about one outing a month. Air was the first, and next month we'll be going to Ageha. This will be in the middle of Golden Week (a whole week of national holidays), when Tokyo is almost deserted as people head back to their home towns to visit relatives. Hence, it's a great time to be in Tokyo. You're guaranteed a seat on any train, at any time, and the city takes on a less frantic air, as the streets are cleared of sleep deprived salarymen.

Miyu will be holding her second exhibition at Ama Terrace, in Koriyama, which is the same location where we had our wedding party. She's lest things a bit last minute, so she'll be spending the next two weeks sewing and stiching together a multitude of wonderous designs. The exhibition is during Golden Week, so she'll be away, so I'll be in Tokyo. Apart from the clubbing, I'm going to try some hiking and indoor climbing at some newly discovered places around Tokyo.

I got a wonderful package in the post yesterday, from my mum. "The Observer Music Monthly magazine" and "The Guardian Weekend" magazine. I really miss those papers, and it's been great to catch up with some Brit culture. You wouldn't believe how much they charge over here for week old copies of those papers, and reading them on-line just hasn't got the same feel as holding it in your hands. It kind of made me wonder about how incredible an invention paper is. I remember back in the 90s a lot of talk about the paperless office, but it still hasn't come to pass. I think the fact is that paper is amazing. You can feel it, which meets our needs for our sense of touch, and it's extremely portable, flexible and robust. I know that screen technology is improving all the time, and that portable electronic devices are getting "smarter", but personally, I couldn't imagine them ever fully replacing paper.

There's a cool annual music festival in the UK called "All Tomorrow's Parties", and I only recently found out that it's the title of one of William Gibson's novels, which I'm now reading. I've a few of his books, and they always offer a quite realistic glimmer into the future of technology. In the book I'm reading, there's a anti-graffiti paint you can buy, which contains an AI graffiti eater, that "lives" in the paint. If somebody sprays their tag or drawing on the wall, the eater comes to life on the surface of the wall, and slowly but surely "eats" the paint, leaving the wall pristine again. It's not as far fetched as it sounds, as I read a recent article about a scientist who is developing fabric that can change colour according to the wearer's mood (can't find the link at the moment). All of this due to nanotechnology, which is still a good 10 - 20 years away from reaching full potential, but is none-the-less extremely feasible.

Met up with Chris and Christine on Friday night for some drinks at Frigo.
It's a Belgium style pub located in Shinjuku, with a dizzying choice of brews. It's very expensive (800 Yen - 2,000 Yen for a bottle of beer), but if you're a beer lover, then it's paradise.

Right, I'm off to enjoy the day, so catch you later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home